Maryhill Girls’ High School was founded in 1933 when some great missionary women (Sisters of Our Lady of Africa) answered the call of serving the children who were born of mixed races in East Africa. These children were discriminated upon on the African, European and Asian Schools. The school acquired its name from Mary Mother of Jesus and the hill on which it stands. Soon after independence, the school acquired a new phase where the first bright African girls were admitted and Maryhill became one of the most prestigious schools in the country. The school was later turned into a public school. In 1989 when the school presented the first candidates in 8-4-4 system of education.
Maryhill Girls High School is a girls’ national boarding school situated in Thika along Thika – Gatukuyu road. The school has a student population of 753 students currently. It is a four streamed school offering seventeen subjects in the 8-4-4- curriculum. The school also offers a variety of other co-curricular activities such as Drama, Music, variety of games like hockey, swimming, volleyball, tennis to name but a few.